Monday, August 31, 2015

PAD Part 12

Oh look! A tiny crab! In my sink! I think I may have accidentally drowned him...


Godwin's wedding

"Parades" are pretty common things here; essentially a school or community organization will all gather together, and regardless of whether anyone's watching, will march around and chant things. I was part of this one, for the Co-Operative, and we went around doing call and response: the leader would sing out "Choose Co-Operative", and we would reply with "Choose equality"

Oh, you know, a typical Tuesday afternoon spent watching Twilight with the boys (they chose the movie)

My office took a day trip to Maewo to watch some of the PISSA (Penama Intersecondary Schools Sports Association) games. Here's the view of Ambae from about halfway back on the boat.

Finally got the extra bed frame out of my room, but kept the extra mattress for guests. Now I've actually got space to get a wardrobe and maybe actually unpack my bags! Turns out living out of suitcases gets tiresome.

Lolowai Hospital. To the left you can see the new desalinization plant.

Practicing formatting documents in Microsoft Word in my first weekly class for my new ICT Departmental Counterparts

Public Works Department

See that post? It's representative of the fact that we're getting power! UNELCO, the main Vanuatu energy company is getting East Ambae ready for 24-hour power, powered by a big generator that runs on coconut oil. We should be hooked up by December. It's definitely going to be a big change for my community, and will make my job so much easier!

The concrete for Alison's market house. The material just came in, and it apparently took about 35 truck loads to take all the various bags of concrete, wood, rebar, etc. to the construction site.

A lot of G27 came to Ambae last week for the GAD (Gender and Development) Training of Trainer workshop. Since they were here, they wanted to take the opportunity to see Manaro and get the tattoo. I went up to Alison's site (2 hour walk each way) to hang out with them a bit, and observe their interactions with the thorn aranis I remember so clearly from my tattoo. Always good to see the group!

Why yes, that is a small, intact bird on each plate. A little hard to get to the meat, but delicious nonetheless! Although I did feed the innards to the dog...
Post first sprint workout since coming to Vanuatu.

No comments:

Post a Comment