Tuesday, November 24, 2015

PAD Part 18

Peeling a pamplemousse (grapefruit). I was pretty proud at getting the skin off in one piece.

Paying rent, and getting the next invoice signed by my dad

Thomas and Marge

Kathleen's birthday! The whole village came out to celebrate with lots of food, kava, and woven hats. Kathleen's friend Kami (on the very right) came from Australia to celebrate with us! (Photo courtesy of Kami)

Watching futsol, like soccer but on a smaller field. It's played 5v5, and instead of throw-ins, you gently roll the ball with your foot to start it again. (Photo courtesy of Kami)

Rain! Glorious rain!

Mailing a Christmas package to the family! This is Cindy, our lovely post office lady.

This was a wonderful surprise to come back to from NZ. I hadn't been able to unpack yet, because I didn't have anywhere to put anything, so my dad made me this! I'm kind of in love with it.

They were selling pigs at market! They're sleeping, not dead, don't worry (and yes, I did ask to make sure)

One of the daily annoyances of life in Vanuatu is Digicel's spam text messages. Most of them read something like "Play the racing game and win 100,000VT! Text go to 134. 20VT per text." Sometimes, though, they send out health warnings and such. I particularly enjoyed this one. Text reads: "World Toilet Day. Always use a toilet to prevent getting sick. Wash your hands every time after you use the toilet and before you eat. Keep your toilet clean, it's a nice place."

Putting in the meters! They're moving forward on this mainline power thing, I guess!

Feeding the chickens

I tried spear gun fishing with Kwani (pictured here) and Simeon. Turns out I'm not great at it, although it doesn't help that these guys can hold their breath for about twice as long as I can.

While in NZ, I printed out a bunch of pictures from back home. These are now proudly displayed on my bedroom wall. Nice to have a little taste of home, especially with the holidays coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment