Tuesday, May 19, 2015

PAD Part 3 and Life Update

I've been at site for almost a month now, and am settling in to some sort of routine. I wake up early, read for a bit, then head to work at about 8. Assuming power and internet are both on (which happens about half the time), I spend my time at work alternating between reading, watching movies, browsing the internet, talking with co-workers, and very occasionally fixing a computer. If the internet's not on, same thing, but remove all the computer-related activities. If the power's not on (3 days in a row is the record, due to lack of fuel to run the generator), same thing, bur remove the office setting and replace it with my hammock and a book. As in, if the power's not on, no one comes to work, so neither do I. Luckily, since the 6-day weekend we got, power's been fairly consistent, so work has been as well.


I get off work, and by that I mean I decide to leave (there's not a lot of structure), at about 4:30 every day, after which I head home. Some afternoons I wander around town, going to the store or beach or somewhere similar, but mostly I hang out at home. My house is at a guest house, and is across the courtyard from my host family's, so there's always someone around. If I'm feeling antisocial, I read on my balcony for a while, but mostly I hang out in my family's bush kitchen, or the covered table by the guest kitchen (it's where I took the picture of Bianca drinking tea, and the picture of playing cards with my family in a previous post). There's always someone around to talk to! Sometimes I make my own dinner, sometimes  I eat with my family, but I almost always stay up and talk with them for a while after we've eaten. I rarely drink kava, since my family doesn't, I haven't found any women who drink, and I don't know enough of the men at the nakamals (kava bar) yet so it would definitely be weird if I showed up alone. I look forward to the point where I do know enough people that it won't be weird though! And I'm sure I'll get to that point eventually. After storying with my family, I generally head to bed at about 7. After a shower (running water, but oh so cold), I head to bed to read for a while, falling asleep at around 9.

Overall, life has been pretty enjoyable here. I'm still figuring out the job, but I think I'm on the right track. When I got to Ambae, I showed up to work only to discover that many of the employees contracts were ending, and the council would be coming soon to discuss whether those contracts would be renewed. (I took the opportunity while the council was here to introduce myself to them and pass around my business card) After the council meeting ended, we got the word that 5 employees contracts had not been renewed, leaving on the acting SG, the compliance manager, the cleaner, and the driver. (Read more about it here: http://www.dailypost.vu/news/article_17a530de-c263-5bdf-a45d-4bef9f0cb7d3.html) I'd been reticent to start any trainings before I knew who I would actually be working with, but now that I know, I'm hoping to start those soon! The acting has asked me to start out with some basic trainings in Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. Things are still in a bit of a transition period: the new people haven't started yet, and the old ones are still finishing out some last tasks, but I'm excited to meet my new coworkers and get down to work!

This weekend, the Ambae folks (minus Tim who is in Thailand), are going to hike up Manaro, the volcano on Ambae. I'm really excited about the hike, seeing my friends, and the adventures that are sure to ensue!

And as promised, the most recent PAD:

My little sister Bianca, enjoying her morning "tea" (it's secretly really watered down coffee)

The slightly perilous stairs up to my second floor

Well...time for a new tooth brush, I guess. These guys come out in full force at night.

Tacos! Homemade tortillas; baked beans with the sauce washed off and made into refried beans; mince with onion and egg. Delicious!

Hard at work! Fixing a computer/printer. Yes, I know the screens are all off. It was rebooting and I was bored, okay?

Watching soccer on a beautiful Saturday afternoon

I had my first real sick night Saturday night and didn't sleep much because of it. Made up for it by laying in bed and reading pretty much all day Sunday. Feeling much better now!

A large spider that lives near me. We've become friends. His name is George.

No comments:

Post a Comment