Monday, May 9, 2016

PAD Part 30

After work one day, my friend Godfrey called out to me as I walked past his office. "We're going North to a fundraiser, wanna come?" I gladly joined, and after an adventure in which the truck broke down and we rolled backwards down a hill for a bit, we arrived to a beautiful sunset.


These suckers are huge!

Apparently someone threw some watermelon seeds on the grass by my office, because look what's growing!

Cutting the grass! Most of this was cut with string cutters...I admire their dedication

Thomas and I crashed the Maewo volunteers get together (thanks for letting us, guys!) This was the first night in Kaioko

Lea and her puppies!

In many villages in Maewo, there is a tradition called Naole. Men in the village dress up like the guy you see here, and chase people around and hit them with sticks. It happens at the time of the yam harvest, and is supposed to scare away sickness from the village

I spent a lovely afternoon discussing religion with these guys. Vanuatu is a very Christian place, and this was the first time I felt comfortable enough to express the fact that I don't necessarily believe in God. It was really interesting getting a chance to talk openly with these guys about something that plays such a big part of culture here. Photo courtesy of Hensley Roy

Le Mus! This is my go-to store, and these ladies, my go-to ladies. They're wonderful!

Tony's first hair cut in who-knows-how-many years!

Spent a lovely night with Thomas a Frank; always nice to get a chance to get to know the new volunteers better

Sometimes I forget how pretty of a place I live in, and then I see views like this

Kathleen and some puppies: 'nuff said

Turns out there was a hornet nest in my house...my dad, 3 brothers, and a few miscellaneous friends helped destroy it. It consisted of hitting them with shoes, spraying them with poison, and hiding behind sheets. Honestly, one of my favorite afternoons (to watch, that is!)

Tony came back from a trip to the north with a bird he'd shot, so of course Bianca wanted to play with it

No comments:

Post a Comment