Monday, January 11, 2016

Brothers and blogs







Meet my brother Jojo. At 16, he’s the oldest of my host siblings. 
I gave him my camera for a bit over a week (it was only supposed to be a couple of days, but hey, island time!) so you all could see Ambae from a different perspective. He ended up taking a lot of photos, and posted here are the highlights.

The soccer field, bank, and Maewo as seen from the balcony of my parents' house

The three guest house buildings my parents run. The one on the back left is my house.

The best way to get in and out of trucks: jump!

The yard across the street from the guest house I live at. The house hidden behind the trees on the right belongs to the Vice President of the PENAMA Provincial Council.

My brother Dale working in my family's store

Mikey and Anthony (or Tony as he's often called) working on rebuilding an engine

Tari, one of my brothers' friends working on fixing a bike

Tari and Dale changing the tube of the aforementioned bike

Nelson and Bianca eating Naviso, a plant you roast over the fire and eat plain. It tastes vaguely of artichokes, and is quite delicious!

One of the cats that lives at the guest house, helping keep the rat population down

The living room in my parents' new house

Tari greasing up some engine parts

The boys working on rebuilding an engine

People work on trucks a lot

No, really. A lot.

My mom and Emma, one of her friends hanging out and talking while the boys work on the engine.


Some of the flowers from my mom's garden



These watermelons were about $2 a piece. For serious. I love how cheap fruit and veggies are here!

My uncle (my mom's brother) recently got married, and needed a lot of mats to pay for his wife, so the whole family chipped in.

Bumbuman making nalot, one of my favorite dishes!

Unripe pamplemousse (grapefruit). My host mom planted this tree the day after she and my host dad got married.

Playing soccer in front of my dad's house down North ("North Ambae" is actually South of "East Ambae", so people here say "down North". Confusing, right?)

My dad’s truck. N – Nelson, D – Dale, J – Jojo. I always joke with him that it should really be NDJGB now. G – Grace, B – Bianca 


Jojo took a lot of photos on the truck ride to our family's house in North Ambae. Gives a good overview of the drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment