Monday, September 14, 2015

PAD Part 13

Spent this day crawling around in the rafters of buildings rewiring ethernet cables in some of the offices

My office is not wired for electricity, so power comes from extension cords plugged into power strips, plugged in to more extension cords and more power strips. Here's a pretty good example...

Opening of the new markethouse (seen in the background)

Meet Toffee and John Rambo Afghanistan. They're pretty cute, I guess. I was having issues with a giant rat that had taken up residence in my ceiling, so I made friends with these two. Thomas has laid claim to John Rambo, but until he comes back from Vila, she's mine! (Yes, that's right, John Rambo Afghanistan is a female cat)

One of my greater culinary exploits: curried beef with potatoes, capsicum and onion

I may or may not have melted my lavalava onto my pot

One of the main roads in Saratamata. I walk down this road every day to get to work.

Marge likes to kill chickens. It's a bad habit we're trying to break her of.

It hasn't rained in about 3 weeks here, and has gotten really dusty. Walking down the dirt roads here is no fun when trucks pass by and kick up all the dust.

Thomas' school: Ambaebulu. This is about a 30 minute walk from my house.

I went adventuring in the bush and found this beautiful view of Lolowai

Well, I guess that answers the question of what people do with trash here...

Tim's school: St Patrick's. This is about a 90 minute walk, or 20 minute truck ride from my house.

The Minister of Agriculture is coming in today for a week-long visit, and the office is busy prepping. These are salusalus, a traditional lei-like necklace, traditionally made of flowers and leaves, commonly used when welcoming important people.

2 comments: